The history of Mogo
Gold was first discovered near Mogo in 1857 but the ‘rush’ was short-lived. Mining continued in the area over the next 50 years but it was spasmodic. In the 1860s, a church, shops, post office, School of Arts and government school were built.
Sawmilling began in the 1880s with Lynch’s mill. Mogo became a sleepy backwater until it was transformed into a quaint tourist village in the late 1980s with cafes, art and craft shops.
What to do
- Visit the Original Gold Rush Colony theme park with exhibits relating to the district’s early mining and historic mining equipment
- Visit the former St. Mary’s Church (now Gallery) and see the pressed metal interior
The gold rush at Mogo began with the discovery of gold at Cabbage Tree Creek in 1857. Two hundred diggers appeared almost overnight and the township quickly became a reality. According to some reports, there were over 10,000 people in the area. Although fossicking continued in the Mogo Gold Fields, the gold rush was over, giving way to timber harvesting in the 1880s after Lynch’s mill was set up there.
The steady growth in population led to the building in 1866 of a church, shops, a post office and in 1869 a school of arts and government school opened. By 1910 there were two general stores, one hotel, a butcher and a draper.
However, the boom faded and the village became a sleepy backwater driven through by people, until rediscovered and transformed into a quant tourist village in the late 1980s with period buildings used as cafes, leather ware and arts and crafts. The Original Gold Rush Colony, opened in 1991 is today an 1850s replica theme park of the bygone days of old Mogo Town.