Come and discover the exciting maritime history of Narooma at the Narooma Lighthouse Museum, located at the Narooma Visitor Centre. The key piece of the Narooma Lighthouse Museum is the original light and optical apparatus from the Montague Island Lightstation.
The light and optical apparatus were constructed by Chance Brothers of Birmingham, suppliers of most lighthouse equipment for colonial governments at the time. The light was first lit on 6 October 1881 and was used for almost 105 years, with its final manual lighting occurring 14 September 1986. The light and optical apparatus were removed from Montague Island when the light was automated and is now housed at Narooma Visitor Information Centre. A detailed interpretive display 'Mainland to Island' and a collection of items have been developed around the theme of this central piece. Some of these items include the original signal flags from the Narooma Pilot Station, lighthouse artefacts from the era and items salvaged from the wreck of the SS Bodalla.
The original light and optical apparatus from the Montague Island Lightstation is deemed to be the best example of an early multi bullseye lens, in Australia, on display with the entire revolving section of the mechanism floating in a reservoir of mercury. When constructed, the light had an intensity of 45,000 candelas (candle power) which subsequently increased to 357,000 by 1933. The light source was originally oil, then kerosene followed by pressurised kerosene mantle, before conversion to electric power in 1969, with a light intensity of 1,000,000 candelas.Â This mechanism was completely removed in 1986, and a battery of solar powered quartz halogen lamps installed in its place, radiating two beams of 120,000 candelas whilst consuming 75 watts of power.
In order to retain the dismantled original light mechanism for
permanent display, the community of Narooma and members of Narooma Apex Club
successfully sought permission from the Department of Transport &
Communications (DOT) to house the mechanism in a purpose-built extension of the
Narooma Visitor Centre. With the support of the community, Eurobodalla Shire Council, National Parks
& Wildlife Service, State Member John Hatton, Federal Member Jim Snow,
Narooma Area Tourism Association, Narooma Apex Club and local citizens, grants
were secured for the construction of the extension.
The light mechanism, housed in the completed Lighthouse Museum was handed over in an official ceremony on 10 August 1990 by the Governor-General of Australia - His Excellency The Honourable Bill Hayden AC.
Australian Maritime Safety
Authority (2007) Heritage Artefacts Loan Agreement.
Author Unknown (1991) Montague Island and the Narooma Lighthouse Project.
Author Unknown (1990) Programme - Presentation of the Lamp from the Montague Lighthouse.
Author Unknown [online] http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/Museum/Narooma%20museum.htm accessed 6 August 2010.
Pacey, L. (2001), The Lure of Montague